Well, the festival is now officially over. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t relieved. As much fun as it’s been and as much as I’ve learned, this week wore me out. I didn’t attend any seminars today, as planned. From what I’ve heard I didn’t miss much. The awards show tonight was spectacular, though. The four big categories being awarded tonight were film craft, film, integrated and titanium, along with awards for agency of the year, holding company of the year, etc. I’m inclined to say that Cannes Lions gives out too many awards in general, because every category has a bunch of sub-categories, and it seems like each win gets kind of buried in a sea of other wins. But tonight was cool because we got to watch all the best TV ads (they call TV ads “film”), and also we saw some campaigns with really innovative ideas, which is what integrated and titanium awards are handed out for.
I don’t want to talk too much about the particular ads, because I’ll be doing five separate commercial critiques on my favorites, but suffice it to say that they were really cool. Most of them I recognized, but some of the foreign ones were new to me and really funny. Wieden + Kennedy won big on a lot of campaigns, and they also won independent agency of the year. All week long I’ve been more and more impressed by them. For those of you who don’t know, they’re the guys who did the Old Spice campaign. They’re also based out of Portland, and I love Portland, so bonus points for that. I think they’ve become my top choice for dream agency to work for. I like their client roster as well, and especially the work they’ve done for Nike.
The awards show was a lot of fun and it was quite a spectacle, in typical Cannes Lions style. We all decided to get really dressed up for it so that was cute. Mallory took individual shots of all of us on the red carpet… glamorous. That’s just about all I have to say about our last day at the festival. It’s been a really long week but I can’t stress enough how much I learned. Look for more posts this coming week with some of my other assignments and also stories about the rest of my adventures in France!
No comments:
Post a Comment